A beginner’s guide to SEO
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO - what helps to improve where your website is listed on search engines such as Google and Bing) is a crucial aspect of any online business or website. It’s the process of optimising your website to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) for relevant keywords and phrases. If your website ranks highly in SERPs, it can increase the visibility of your website and drive more organic traffic, equalling more orders! Carry on reading for some basic tips to get started with SEO on your florist website, whether you’re an eflora florist or not.
1. Understand Your Audience: The first step in SEO is to understand your target audience. You need to know their interests, demographics and search behaviour to create content that resonates with them. Tools like Google Analytics can help you gather insights about your website visitors.
2. Keyword Research is the process of finding the keywords and phrases that your target audience uses to search for your products or services. Use tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs or SEMrush to find relevant keywords with a high search volume and low competition that you could use in content on your florist website.
3. On-page Optimisation refers to improving the content and HTML source code of your website by ensuring your web pages have a clear and concise title, meta description and header tags. You can use the keywords you’ve gathered during step 3 in your content but avoid keyword stuffing as this could harm your website’s ranking!
4. Content Creation is really important when it comes to SEO and this is another place where you can use your keywords. Create high-quality, original and engaging content that solves your audience's problems to boost your SERPs ranking. Using a mix of formats such as text, blogs, images, videos and infographics is a good way to keep your audience engaged.
All of our eflora websites come with blog functionality to help boost SEO and are a great way to show off your expertise, here’s a few topics to get you started:
- Flower Trends for 2023
- Popular seasonal gifts
- How to care for your flowers
Read about eflora’s other florist website features here.
5. Link Building is the process where other websites link to your site. Backlinks from authoritative websites can improve your website's domain authority and visibility in SERPs. You could use tactics like guest blogging, broken link building and influencer outreach to build quality backlinks to your website.
6. Technical SEO refers to the optimisation of your website's technical elements that affect its crawling and indexing by search engines. Ensure that your website is mobile-friendly, has a fast-loading speed and has a secure HTTPS protocol.
eflora subscribers – your website’s have just been through a comprehensive SEO audit from our SEO partner, Impression. Impression’s audit highlighted some improvements that could be made to all eflora florist websites, including some technical SEO updates to make each site more visible. As a result, we’ve been through and updated each eflora website’s meta data and product descriptions with personalised data and key words to make all eflora websites more locally relevant! The best part about this? It’s totally free for all eflora subscribers! Just another perk of having an eflora florist website.
7. Local SEO is the optimisation of your website for local search and is particularly important for smaller businesses, like florists. Use local keywords and phrases like locations on your website, add your business to Google My Business and build local citations to improve your visibility in local search results. Our Top 10 ‘About Us’ Page Boosters blog has more tips on how you can do this.
eflora subscribers – Impression have worked through your sites to see where we
can work on your local SEO. Your Business Account Coordinator is working through these suggestions and we hope you start to see the benefits from them soon!
Search Engine Optimisation is a pretty complex process that requires ongoing effort and continuous optimisation. The above tips are just the basics to get started with SEO. If you’d like to delve a little deeper into the world of SEO, The Floristry Trade Club’s Unlock your organic opportunity with Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) vlog series has even more information for you.
Top tip – You won’t see results overnight with SEO but keep learning and experimenting with different SEO strategies to improve your website's ranking and visibility in SERPs.
We’re constantly striving to make sure all of our eflora websites are generating as many orders as possible for subscribers. We’ve even got some conversion rate improvements coming soon!
Not part of eflora yet? What are you waiting for? Find out what an eflora florist website could do for your business or you can read our other blogs here.